Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Using AND & OR within DECODE statements
Using AND & OR within DECODE statements [message #374857] Fri, 06 July 2001 14:49 Go to next message
Bruce Weinstein
Hi,

Here is my problem.

Following is what I would like to convert into DECODE statement.

if (JOB.action = 'HIR' or JOB.action = 'REH') and (JOB.action_reason = 'APT' or JOB.action_reason = 'APS')
then a = 1 ;
else a = 0 ;
I want to make the whole statement return a 1 or 0 as I will be summing the values to give me count. So I imagine I will have to wrap statement with SUM function too. It is mainly the DECODE I am having trouble with.

How could I achieve this in ORACLE. I am assuming it would have to be done using the DECODE, that is why I mentioned in subject.

Your help would be appreciated as it is kind of vital for completion of my program.

Thanks in advance.

...Bruce
Re: Using AND & OR within DECODE statements [message #374859 is a reply to message #374857] Sat, 07 July 2001 10:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Muhamad Sirajdin
SELECT SUM(COUNT(TESTTAB.NAME)) FROM TESTTAB GROUP BY TESTTAB.NAME,
TESTTAB.ACTION HAVING
DECODE(TESTTAB.NAME,'APT',1,'REF',1,'APS',1,0)=1 AND
DECODE(TESTTAB.ACTION,'HIR',0,'OHP',0,'OPP',0,1)=0
/
hth
Re: Using AND & OR within DECODE statements [message #374861 is a reply to message #374857] Sun, 08 July 2001 01:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
palanikarupaiyan@hotmail.
you can write the following in a stored function and call the fucntion in your sql statement

if action in ('HIR','REH') and action in ('HIR','REH') then
return=1
else
return=0
endif
Re: Using AND & OR within DECODE statements [message #374871 is a reply to message #374857] Mon, 09 July 2001 07:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John R
As Palanikarupaiyan said, the best way to do this is to create a stored function and call that wherever you want the decode.
If you are determined to have a decode, try this one.

I refer to the fields as ACT and REA to save typing:

DECODE(rea
,'APT',DECODE(act,'HIR',1,'REH',1,0)
,'APS',DECODE(act,'HIR',1,'REH',1,0)
,0)
Re: Using AND & OR within DECODE statements [message #374889 is a reply to message #374857] Tue, 10 July 2001 00:34 Go to previous message
Sudhakar Atmakuru
I guess you could use the same function, DECODE, for whole condition check within the same SELECT statement.

SELECT DECODE(
DECODE(JOB.ACTION,'HIR',1,'REH',1,2),
DECODE(JOB.ACTION_REASON,'APT',1,'APS',1,3),1,0) FROM table_name;

Explanation:
The first inner DECODE for JOB.ACTION returns the same result 1 for its contents HIR and REH, otherwise 2
Similarily the second inner DECODE for JOB.ACTION_REASON also returns same result 1 for its contents APT and APS, otherwise 3.
Finally the outer and main DECODE compares the results of two inner DECODEs 1 and 1 then results 1 otherwise 0 as the final output for that row.
Here, in place of a column/filed in DECODE, a DECODE condition is given to represent a value 1, and in the place of a literal or conditional value another DECODE is given that returns 1 or 0. If both the represented values are same (1 = 1), then the final result is 1 or otherwise 0.
The false values 2 and 3 are given to differ with each other when the condition is not met.
Hope you understand and it resolves your problem.
Previous Topic: Searching in all Tables
Next Topic: Re: Help with an Oracle SQL Statement
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Jul 03 03:13:55 CDT 2024