Home » RDBMS Server » Networking and Gateways » SQL*Net listener problems
SQL*Net listener problems [message #367740] Wed, 16 February 2000 00:04 Go to next message
Lance Holden
Recently out system was upgraded to Solaris 2.7. Due to problems in the installation process several system files (such as /var/opt/oracle) where lost. I am trying to rebuild the control files, but have little experience in installing Oracle as this was done by the previous DBA.

I have successfully restored the oratab and can access the databases. The problem comes when I try to access the databases remotely. I have created the following listener.ora and tnsnames.ora files and stored them in $ORACLE_HOME/network/admin.
The files are used for Oracle 7.2.3.

listener.ora:
LISTENER=
(ADDRESS_LIST=
(ADDRESS=
(PROTOCOL=IPC)
(KEY=casdata)
)
(ADDRESS=
(COMMUNITY=TCP.world)
(PROTOCOL=TCP)
(HOST=dwarf)
(PORT=1521)
)
)

STARTUP_WAIT_TIME_LISTENER = 0
CONNECT_TIMEOUT_LISTENER = 10
TRACE_LEVEL_LISTENER = OFF

SID_LIST_LISTENER =
(SID_LIST =
(SID_DESC =
(SID_NAME = casdata)
(ORACLE_HOME = /opt4/Oracle7)
)
)

The tnsnames.ora file contains

casdata =
(DESCRIPTION=
(ADDRESS_LIST=
(ADDRESS=
(PROTOCOL=TCP)
(HOST=dwarf)
(PORT=1521)
)
)
)
(CONNECT_DATA=
(SID=casdata)
)
)

Attempting to connect to the database generates the error ORA-12154: TNS could not resolve service name, but a call to lsnrctl status indicates that a listener is started for casdata. Can anyone please help?
Re: SQL*Net listener problems [message #367769 is a reply to message #367740] Sat, 01 April 2000 01:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manny I.
Do you have tns_admin set in your environment? This should be set to where your tnsnames.ora file is located. You should also have sqlnet.ora in the same directory. In your sqlnet.ora, what is names.default_domain set to (by default this is set to world)? If this is set to world, try changing the entry in your tnsnames.ora file to casdata.world. Also, try "tnsping casdata.world". Do you get a successful connection?
Re: SQL*Net listener problems [message #367817 is a reply to message #367740] Thu, 07 September 2000 03:51 Go to previous message
freedba
you can try to change the connect_data in tnsname.ora from SID to SERVICE_NAME - try again .
if it is not working ,please try this command

TNSPING ip

this should be able to solve your problem ...

however, i still don't know the problem between SID and SERVICE_NAME , because i have tried few times ,either one should be working .

please inform the result, ok
Previous Topic: remote process dies when selecting "large" table over dblink
Next Topic: Oracle8i Client under MAC OS X Server ???
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 02:03:44 CDT 2024