Home » Fusion Middleware & Colab Suite » WebCenter Suite & Portal » Web DB as a solution?
Web DB as a solution? [message #364984] Tue, 25 July 2000 15:27 Go to next message
Skip
We've just begun considering WebDB for a potential CMS solution for a client. An Oracle DB Architect here has warned us that WebDB is not a great product and that it might not be up to the task. General impressions needed, general likes and dislikes, horrow stories? In general what luck have people had with Oracle's WebDB?

Thanks!!!

Skip
Re: Web DB as a solution? [message #364985 is a reply to message #364984] Wed, 26 July 2000 07:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kevin
The toolsets found in the early versions of WebDB (2.x) do suffer from a lack of flexibility. On the surface, you could dress up the beginning and ending of a page, but only serve up the Oracle data as a fairly rigid block of information in the middle. However, if you're well versed in PL/SQL you could get into the functions and procedures and packages that build the pages and do about anything you'd like. In fact, after spending 6-8 months working with only version 2.0, we've been able to do about anything we've needed, including;

1) Have users create there own dynamic accounts
2) Serve up information based on authenticated user
3) Incorporate various plugins
4) Incorporate output from other tools (FrontPage, javascripts etc.).

From what I've found (and I've spent a great deal of time evaluating different web toolsets) WebDB is on one end of the spectrum and packages such as FrontPage and DreamWeaver are on the other end. On WebDB's end is an easy method of database connectivity but limited flexibility. On the other end (where FrontPage and DreaWeaver reside) is a great deal of flexibility but rather poor dynamic database queries and connectivity. The lasted version of WebDB 3.0 (also known as WebDB/Portal 3.0 and in the future just Portal) is due for production release in September. You can get a beta copy of it via metalink.oracle.com. This version promises a great deal more flexibility in the toolset. It promises to make a great leap toward the FrontPage, DreamWeaver end of the spectrum.
The only other gripe I have, is the lack of printed material covering the software. The only manual I've found thus far "Oracle WebDB Bible" provides a good starting point, but once you get through it, you'll be wanting more (at least I was). The authors of this book have indicated that they're planning one to cover the features of version 3.0 of the software. To date, I've not found anything from Oracle Press on WebDB (too bad).
In short (can I even say that after this long note?), version 2.x of WebDB has its limitations, but they can be worked around. Given WebDB's ease of database connectivity, and the features offered in version 3.x, I'd certainly give it a serious evaluation when considering a web toolset.
Re: Web DB as a solution? [message #364993 is a reply to message #364985] Thu, 10 August 2000 13:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pygmyfish
Hey Kevin,

I read your comments re: Webdb 2.x & 3.x. We're developing a couple of applications in 2.2 right now and we're wondering about portability from 2.x to 3.0. Are there any hassles with this, or should it be pretty straight forward?
Re: Web DB as a solution? [message #364995 is a reply to message #364985] Mon, 14 August 2000 07:36 Go to previous message
Kevin
According to Oracle support, a set of conversion tools will be included to migrate 2.2 to 3.0. Note that you'll need a 8.1.6 (or higher) database to run version 3.0 of WebDB.
If you have a small number of components you could always use the export feature under the component management screen. The export feature also creates a script to import the component (which you could cut and paste into SQLPlus).
Previous Topic: how can I do this on webdb????urgent???
Next Topic: deleting webdb site
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 07:57:57 CDT 2024