Home » Other » Training & Certification » Good Beginners Books
Good Beginners Books [message #324459] Mon, 02 June 2008 09:59 Go to next message
kmccarthy27
Hi,

I am wondering if I can get some suggestions on good beginner Oracle books beyond the Oracle Beginners Guide. It seems when I look I cannot find anything besides this other than the exam guides which I want to work my way up to.

I have found a lot of good SQL resources, which I know in some ways is the beginning stages of Oracle but thought there maybe other beginner Oracle books.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Kevin
Re: Good Beginners Books [message #324460 is a reply to message #324459] Mon, 02 June 2008 10:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
http://tahiti.oracle.com contains the whole Oracle documentation set
Re: Good Beginners Books [message #324461 is a reply to message #324460] Mon, 02 June 2008 10:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kmccarthy27
I was kinda looking for other books besides that. Maybe something that is not published by Oracle themselves.
Re: Good Beginners Books [message #324463 is a reply to message #324459] Mon, 02 June 2008 10:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
>>some suggestions on good beginner Oracle books beyond the Oracle Beginners Guide
Which particular area?
Administration or programming?
As said, Oracle documentation is the best free resource available.
Other publications from Osborne are good with low level examples,examples on every other functions available etc.
My only grudge is, none of the beginner level books will even attempt to address
anything that is not already said in documentation (in some cases,
even just copy the same examples).
Re: Good Beginners Books [message #324464 is a reply to message #324463] Mon, 02 June 2008 10:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kmccarthy27
I am more looking for books that will explore Oracle itself from the ground up. I want to take the the Exams but at the same time I do not want to read the exam guide books and not learn anything but the test content itself. The best I can think of is the Oracle Beginner's Guide and possibly the DBA Handbook book just not an Oracle published one one. As you can see I am looking for the admin side.

Re: Good Beginners Books [message #324465 is a reply to message #324464] Mon, 02 June 2008 10:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
>> As you can see I am looking for the admin side
Unfortunately,
oracle docs are ***the best***.
There are a few select printed works available from folks that are good on performance tuning, CBO and other topics, but those are NOT meant for Beginners.
For administration, start with server concepts guide,admin guide etc.
Meanwhile you are talking about oracle press books
and
we are talking about oracle documentation available at
tahiti and http://www.oracle.com/pls/db102/homepage

Re: Good Beginners Books [message #324466 is a reply to message #324464] Mon, 02 June 2008 10:38 Go to previous message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Quote:
I am more looking for books that will explore Oracle itself from the ground up.

Database Concepts

Regards
Michel
Previous Topic: 256 th day in the year
Next Topic: Left Outer Join
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 04:19:29 CDT 2024